The Past, The Present and The Future . . .

THE PAST:
When I was about 13 I wanted to be clothing designer. I had a love for fabric, clothes and sewing. It was around this time that I started making my own clothes. I searched for the perfect fabric, always on a budget - cotton became my medium of choice. I longed for fabulous fabric with great designs. My first job at 15 was in a fabric store and that was the beginning of my fabric collecting.
A few weeks ago when we were cleaning the garage I found an old sketch book of mine from around that time (when I was 13 or 14) and I found these sketches. It made me smile (and cringe a bit) but hey, it was the 70's!



THE PRESENT:
Today I am not so interested in designing clothes, but designing in general. Right now I am working on a carry-all for my sketchbook and supplies (more on that in a future blog entry). I still have a love of fabric and I have dreamed of designing my own. I even entered a fabric design contest a couple of years ago. This past week in true sychronistic fashion I received a link on Facebook to a website called Spoonflower. It is a company that prints fabric with your design, any design you come up with. And you can buy as little as 1 yard if you want , no huge runs! I was elated! Modern technology is a wonder!! If you love fabric check it out. If you want to buy custom designed fabric have a look at their Etsy shop. They even have a weekly design challenge contest. My mind and my creativity have been working overtime since I found out about Spoonflower! Here are a couple of unique designers that I found as I was browsing the website.



Designer: Lolly Chessie http://www.lollchops.com/

Designer: Sarah sarahbscraps.blogspot.com/

THE FUTURE:
It won't be long until I an sending off a design to Spoonflower and having some fabric made. It opens up a whole new world to me and I can't wait to get my first package in the mail! Now I have to get out my sketchbook and start sketching - or maybe I will go to my computer and just open Photoshop - after all we are in the 21st century!


No comments: