Sketching Change - I am a Delicate Flower

Delicate flower - that is what I am.

It occurred to me over the last few weeks that I play the tough girl too often. I have that "I can do anything, don't ask for help, I am woman" kind of attitude going on. This has served me well in my life, but it has outlived is usefulness. This tough girl has an internal persona - big, tough, competent, and safe that plays out in an external manifestation - one that I am not happy with at all. So I have determined that I must get in touch with my inner girlie girl. The part of me that is feminine, soft, long and lean, and vulnerable (shudder). This is a tall order. It is very uncomfortable and unfamiliar, but I must give it a try. Change doesn't happen by doing the same thing over and over - it is time to let go and try something new. It is time to think of myself as a delicate flower. In her book The Artist's Way, Julia Cameron says, "Treating yourself like a precious object will make you strong!" I have quoted her dozens of times, but now it seems more clear to me. Being the tough girl doesn't necessarily make me strong - it just keeps me safe. Allowing myself to be the delicate flower gives me the opportunity to step into my true nature, without the safety net of being the tough girl. Strength doesn't come from the outside, it comes from within.

This is where art comes into play. This blog is part of my commitment to focus on using my creativity to connect, recovery and heal myself. A chance to stop intellectualizing and instead allow my creativity to flow, without judgement or boundaries. Thanks for letting me share this process with you!

No comments: