An Attitude of Gratitude

Change Your Thoughts, Change Your Life


This morning I woke up with a song in my mind.  An old 70's tune by Bill Withers, Lovely Day.  Along with that song in my head, I kept hearing the word gratitude.  It was a lovely way to wake up!



As I stretched and lay cozy in bed I let the song play in my head and contemplated the word gratitude. It is a state of mind.  Gratitude is about seeing what is good in your life, instead of focusing on what's wrong.  It is an instantaneous cure for being down in the dumps - just stop and think of all the things to be grateful for.   It is an attitude adjuster.


It is well known that what we focus on expands.  "Where your attention goes, energy follows", my yoga teacher used to say.  If we completely focus on the problems in our lives, than those problems will grow!  The more attention you give a negative thought the bigger it gets.  Haven't you ever done that!  I especially have this problem when I go to bed, the more I think about it the bigger it gets and I can't sleep and then the next day I am exhausted and usually I have forgotten what it was I was thinking about the night before! Crazy!  Focusing on the negative is exhausting and very draining!


On the other hand, gratitude is fuel for peace, love and compassion.  If you take time to think about what you are grateful for each day, then you feel energized and full of life.  What an amazing difference!  The same rule applies - "were attention goes, energy follows".  Attention to what's good in your life, instead of what's wrong, energies the good and brings you more good!  Now that is life affirming!


And all it takes is changing your thoughts!  We each have the amazing power to change our thoughts and create an entirely different experience.  Change your thoughts, change your life.  It is totally under our control.


Gratitude is a simple, efficient way to do that.  The more grateful you are, the more you will have to be grateful for.  It's true!  Give it try.  How about making a gratitude list each morning or in the evening before you go to bed (or both!) You will be amazed how your life begins to change.  I think I will start making my list today!   A great way to start of 2012!


In the spirt of gratitude, Cindy










No comments: